Re: JIN-ROH and LoTR

In a message dated 3/26/02 3:17:44 PM Central Standard Time,
soberman_69 at hotmail_com writes:

<< Peter:
 >Ah, but *are* movies about "escapism"?

da Mattrix
 Sometimes.  Or always- even the most gripping or depressing or philosophical
 film takes us away rom our own limited reality for a few dozen mintes or so.
   If we are reflecting on the lives of other characters, whether real or
 imagined, are we not escaping our own, personal life reflections?

If I may interject one thing here. I would say the idea that naming anything
that takes you outside yourself as *escapist*  is a misnomer. Isn't that
pretty much the object of all art? To carry you outside of yourself into
something *other* for a while.  Is all art escapist? I think you have to look
at it person to person and day to day. True, some people watch a movie, read
a book, listen to music on a given day only to escape their particular
reality for a while but on another day they may do the same in order to
venture into anothers story to get a bigger picture of life than they could
get otherwise and also to bring back something from there to apply and
understand themselves better. I would say this applies tomost everything,
even fantasy and fairy tales. You enter into unknown lands not only to leave
your world for a while but hopefully to come back seeing*reality* from a
fresh angle. I remember one writer on Tolkien saying that after reading LotR
he was walking through a forest and the trees about him became, for a while,
electric and magical again like in his childhood. You get what you want going
in, if you just want a bit of escapism that's what you get if you want
someting more, you may get something more.

ramblin' kev