Re: The Awards.

Perhaps in twenty years the Lord of the Rings film will be remembered for
what I saw in it: an overblown giant piece of crap designed for people who
play too many videogames or can't find the time too, so the excruciating
film was their outlet.  I despise it so seemingly infinitely.

A Beautiful Mind could have been about sewer rats, but it's still a love
story, told interestingly and with progression and development.  And a good
love story at that.  Same with Moulin Rouge.

It was an eccentric year for cinema.

Viva Cirque du Soleil,
Bruce

--- Ysobelle wrote:

>I beg to differ, and for one important reason. I
>didn't see it, so I  can't judge myself, but I do know it's made
>people talk and think a little differently about mental illness.

--- then prestokelvo wrote:

I think I have to agree with Matt on this one. (Although I did love A
Beautiful Mind. I was disappointed that LOTR didn't win, but then I made
myself remember how much I loved beautiful mind when I saw it.) I don't
think that A Beautiful mind will be a "classic" in the sense that LOTR will
be 20 years from now.  IT will be remembered because it won best picture.
Kind of like Gigi and How Green Was My Valley and Grand Hotel are all
remembered because they won, although they are not really significant
otherwise.  On the other hand Citizen Kane, Star Wars, ET and Apocalypse Now
- none of which won best picture - are all remembered because they are
timeless classics.