Re: inquiry

Ysoie and Anita converseth:

> > Then they told this story about a bridge in New York State and a
> > suicide prevention hotline sign at the top.
>
> I've never heard the story.  Do tell... or was that just the snapshot-like
> impetus for the writing?

I don't know that I've ever heard Over the Rhine's story of Poughkeepsie in its
entirety... but I did spend a summer in the town once.  The bridge in the song
is the "Mid-Hudson Bridge", a suspension bridge that stretches gracefully high
over the Hudson River between Poughkeepsie and (I think) Highland, NY.  You can
actually take an online "walking tour" of the bridge...let me dig up that link
again... ah, here it is:

http://www.nysba.state.ny.us/bridgepages/MHB/'walk'/frame.htm

The walking tour does not show you that there are signs for a couple different
suicide-prevention hotlines posted at regular intervals along the bridge (which
hangs at least 100 feet above the river).

The summer I spent in Poughkeepsie, in one of those wierd coincidences that
aren't really coincidences, was the summer of 1996--the same year that the song
"Poughkeepsie" first showed up on a recording.  Of course, I didn't learn that
until later.

Cheers,
Raven