Re: PittsburghLIVE.com interview

Ysobelle sez

>I think it's unfortunate, but something they've remarked on for years and
>since we're not, on the whole, there every night of each tour, we're
>really not fit to judge.

Exactly!

>What Linford's commenting on isn't something restricted to Over the
>Rhine. I'm sure there's some kind of name for it-- maybe it's just simply
>the hometown crowd takes the hometown band for granted, i.e. there's
>always there, so why get excited?

Reminds me of Don (or somebody else) saying that he'd run into a group of
local people who regarded OtR as "trite" and passe- that they had become
boring!  As far as names for it go, the "seven year itch" is all I can think
of, but that's not QUITE right, eh?

>Or to put it another way, and I hope they forgive me for this, let's
>compare Over the Rhine to Rolling Rock. For those not in the know, it's a
>beer brewed here in PA. In Latrobe, to be exact. Now, when I lived in
>London, Rolling Rock was considered a slightly exotic import, and was
>priced accordingly. If you ordered a Rolling Rock, your friends though,
>Hm, here's someone who knows beer. All hail the beer drinker. Let us
>salute his/her excellent taste. How clever he/she is to know of this
>excellent invention from such a small, far-away place. Ahh, the glories
>of Rolling Rock!
>
>You come here to PA, and most people will shrug and call it swill.

Me included. ;-)

>I'm not saying you don't have a right to be miffed, but remember: it's
>not to you Linford is really speaking. It's to the people who will shell
>out big bucks to see Dave Matthews but won't go down the street to see
>the band born and bred in their backyard. You know the ones. They don't
>drink Rolling Rock.

Miffed, sure, Paul has the right to feel as such.  BUT... I just checked the
Pittsburgh website, and couldn't find the interview anywhere, including the
archives.  So, unless I'm inept, it has been pulled.  This makes me think
the Linford requested it be pulled, having read a fan was "hurt" by his
comments- comments that weren't directed toward him personally.  However,
Linford is an ultra sensitive, respect-for-all-people type of nice guy.  You
know the type, they practice what they preach.  (Christianity, in this
case.)  I half think those offending comments were made off the record, and
placed into the interview by a journalist in need of a sensational angle to
"spice up" his or her story.  "Cincy's loss is the rest of the world's
gain!"??!??  I HAVE to think Linford said that in a jocular manner, or that
the journalist presented it out of context.  The man is not prideful.  He's
like the best friend you never had, but wish you did, or so my limited
exposure to him has led me to believe.  Just this week at the Pittsburgh
show, I spoke with him again.  It was easier than talking to some of the
people in my own (genetic) family!  (I'll send a review of the Pgh show
too.)

Ysoie, I agreed with EVERY word of your post. Typically, I'd regard such a
cataclysmic event as a portent of the end, but, in this case, I think it is
just the opposite!  Heck, I even appreciated your analogy from the
standpoint of a "soberman", for what its worth!

Building bridges,

Matt

np Over the Rhine "Besides" (thanks Jessyka!)