Re: Canal St.

The Canal St. show was terrific.

It was truly a delight to meet Jessyka, she really does look *exactly* like
I'd pictured and is just as warm and friendly and fun as I was expecting,
too.   Samantha is much quieter (both on list and off) but also very nice and
friendly and far more mature than her years... it was great to meet her
too... (Stop rewriting and just post more often, Samantha! *smile*)

Great to see Megan and Don again: they'd sat only feet away at Uno's after
the Taft show, but I hadn't gotten to actually chat with them then.  This
time I did, and I'm glad.  Quality people, both of them.  And, in case
someone missed it in my previous post, they make fantastic cheesecake
together.  :)   Megan's friend Marcie (sp?) was nice to meet as well.... does
she list-lurk, Megan? (Are you there, Marcie?)

Bruce was/is a riot, ('Holy cow' will now amuse me all out of proportion
every time I hear it... ) and I only talked briefly to Jeremy when he was
still in a relatively good mood at the beginning of the night, so I
apparently lucked out and missed his grouchy bit.

Missed meeting Brian entirely!  Someone waved toward the table at one point,
I think that might have been you, hmm, Brian?

Show review: it's been covered. I'll try not to repeat what's been said.

I particularly liked The World Can Wait this time.  Don't know if it was
different than I've heard it before, or if it was just me paying better
attention.

New songs:  I very much liked Hush Now.  Linford said something about how it
was new and they "hadn't quite figured out how to make it really 'waltz'
yet", but I enjoyed it a great deal.  They took the rhythm of a waltz and
used it in a slightly less festive way than I ordinarily think of a waltz,
which is appropriate for the lyrics, I think, so I found it a grand
success... but of course, I've only heard it the once, and I'm NOT a
music-person, so that's just my rather-extremely-amateur opinion.

Need to hear Norwood Boy again; I was unfortunately distracted.  Liked the
tale that went with it, re: neighborhood improvement.

Still really like Jesus In New Orleans, too... it arrives in my head unbidden
occasionally, and that's unusual for a song I've only heard three times! (I
think it's three... hmm...maybe four...)

And while I'm commenting on all of the as-yet-unrecorded songs they play,
aren't they well on their way to another CD? I count six, I think: HN, NB,
JINO, Anything at All, GreenCS, Ohio...

Bruce says the setlist included 'Cast Me Away'!... I'm belatedly sad that
they didn't do it... it was on my 'Which older songs would you most like to
hear played live?' list a few months ago... maybe they'll do it in
Virginia???

I really liked Ticklepenny Corner, FWIW... Beth's voice is heavenly, her
violin playing is stunning, and Noah is wildly fun.  I'm exceedingly fond of
(and bought their disc based on how much I liked) _Seems a Little Weak_.
Plus anyone who can pull off using the word 'tushes' in a song (it's in the
one about the landscaped hill:_Mama, Can I Be Done?_) deserves applause.  ;)

The drive home, btw, was *beautiful*... I took 79 to 68 through W.Va and
northwestern MD rather than taking the PA Turnpike.   Driving through the
mountains (up one side and then (wheeeeeee) down the other on steeply graded
curves) in extremely bright full-moon-light (the trees and rocks cast
shadows, and you could see the hills against the sky) was sheer joy.  No one
out there but me and a few trucks... I could have driven all night long... I
was a little sad when it flattened out and turned urban again, even though it
meant I was close to home.

Just realized today that the Philly show is on a Thursday, not a Friday... so
I guess I'm going to have to skip that one (phooey, I'd been looking forward
to it)... but I'll be at the one the following night in Virginia.  Plan to
hold down the merch table, even.   Come say hi?

Smiling....
Anita