Re: amelie

--- Don Smith <dasmith at rotse2_physics.lsa.umich.edu> wrote:
> I love Criterion, too.  I've bought movies I've never
> seen, simply because they're Criterion.

I have done the exact same thing... and I've never been
disappointed by a criterion film that I have purchased. I
think the people at Criterion seem to appreciate film's
ability to communicate on an artistic level as much as most
studios seem to appreciate film's ability to generate huge
amounts of cash. Which might explain why the discs tend to
be so expensive... high end consumers wind up with high end
price tags.

Of course, given the success of the criterion collection,
many studios are now producing super-special dvd editions of
their celebrated movies, but Criterion always goes for that
neglected gem that needs rescuing.

I'm glad to hear that a fully restored version of
*Metropolis* will be hitting videotheque shelves late this
spring. I wish it were being produced by Criterion. But i
will be thrilled to have a nearly definitive version of the
film (restored footage, correct frame rate, original score,
proper tinting, etc.) on dvd instead of the horrendous
versions now available. Although, when this comes out, I
don't know what I'll do with the three other versions of the
movie I have on vhs, dvd, and laserdisc.

=====
Bradley S. Caviness, Bigwig
Bigwig Enterprises

http://www.bigwigenterprises.com

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur."
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)