how many times

We've seen them only three times.  At Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC; at
Rosebud in Pittsburgh; and at Lynagh's in Lexington, KY.  All of
these in 2001.  Lynagh's was a trying experience because about 75 people
came only to smoke and drink and shout so as to make the band hard to hear.
But this was the first time we got to hear Ohio, so that was good, and we
had a lovely drive through the Kentucky mountains.  (We live in Durham).
Our favorite time was at Rosebud because Dave the Merch Guy, upon
talking to us and finding that we'd driven 500 miles, got Linford to come
after the show and say hi to us, and had the whole band autograph one of
those FFR prmotional LP-jacket-size thingamajigs.  We were so grateful.
The autographed thingamajig sits framed in our house with all my
autographs of living and dead opera singers.

My wife has had OtR CDs since she started college or so about 7/8 years
ago, but we had never seen them live until last year because, I guess,
since we live in the Southeast, you don't see their concerts promoted.  I
was walking back from graduation at Duke (it's scary when the last
undergrads you knew are graduating) when I happened to glance down at the
bus stop and saw a flyer for their Carrboro concert.  It was the most
beautiful day in the history of the world.  It was like 65 degrees and
sunny and not humid, which for mid-May in North Carolina is way below
normal and a glorious reprieve before the killer summer.  And here was
Over the Rhine staring up at me from the stones at my feet!

We didn't know about the website either (though it stood to reason they'd
have one).  So I was quite lucky to get to that show.  My wife was out of
town.  So I told her we were going to have a little surprise adventure and
she wouldn't know what it was till we got there.  We drove to Pittsbugh, but
she has this really cute complete lack of a sense of direction, so she
truly didn't know what was up.

To me, the central appeal of OtR, besides Karin's voice, is that so many
songs deal with the problem of faith.  So I enjoy the Christianity
discussions here very much.

We'll try to make the Alexandria concert in February, but that may be
tough--I think it's on a Sunday night.

Re-lurkingly yours,
Ben Torbert
Durham, NC