Re: Nothing to do with Nine Inch Nails, really.

> be Jewish in this world, so i liked this current discussion.  I think that
> most of the listees agree, or at least, don't mind these topics, as long
as
> they don't digress into name-calling and "thunder-and-damnation" type
> tirades.
> then again, maybe i should just crawl back to where i was lurking.

hi.

no,  don't crawl back.    it's really not the  "discussion"  that bugs me
about this list,  i mean,  from it we learned about why Jews  (and maybe the
rest of us)  shouldn't write  G   o    d      on a scroll or a rock or a
computer screen.     the part that bugs me is how everything comes back time
after time after time in some sort of 6-degrees-of-separation  manner to
this christian god thing.

now i'll use the worn phrase  "having said ~that~"  here:

having said that,  you'd think that i'd be on ysoie's  on-line defense here,
as she asked for allies.   part of me wants to be,   and say something like,
"yeah, people,   we can surely lay off the prosyletizing by now,  can't we?
i mean,  we beat this horse to death years ago,  and we're still whacking on
it months ago,  weeks ago,  and then yesterday,  too.    we get the point.
enough already.  please stop."

but i won't say that.    here's why.      this is my second time to the
list.   i liked it here,   but when i left,   one of the reasons (and
certainly not the only one)   was because it was getting a little too
preachy-christian for my tastes.    if i wanted this much evangelism,  i'd
move closer to a Kingdom Hall or something.    but i came back,   knowing
full well it was  still preachy-christiany  (i had read the archives from
time to time).    how can i say  "stop!"  when i  elect to be here
(twice!!)?     do you ever hear those news stories about people who move
into a neighbourhood  that happens to be right next to an airport?     the
airport was already there,  but  they chose to buy or build a house there
(fairly cheap land when you have to put up with the noise and the dumped
fuel and the exhaust and the occasional engine or wheel or body part landing
in your backyard.   not exactly stuff you can just drag out to the kerb)
and then later the same people start bitching to the city about the noise
and problems.    "close the airport!"   "make the airport build a sound
wall!"    "make the jets take off  ~this~  way  (so it bothers  ~those~
people)  not  ~that~ way  (so it bothers  ~us~)"    etc.  etc.

i don't wanna be like one of those neighbours.       i knew the airport was
there.   i knew you pilots were gonna dump your excess jet fuel on my house
from time to time.   i made that choice,   and i may not like it,  but i'm
gonna live with it.

that was my little rant,  now i'm gonna move on to some happy shit:

(i don't remember all the names of the innocent---if i mention you by deed
alone,  forgive me.)

michelle  (???)   asked about memorable OtR concerts:

#1)  Brady's in Kent.   featuring the vocal stylings of our own ex-lostie
Snoop Duggy Dug.   ain't no need to say nothin'  more.

#2)   Michigan Theatre  (i think)   (he'p  me B!)   in Ann Arbor MI.    what
a lovely, classy, dazzling place to play.   i was happy for the band  just
cause they got to play there.

#3)  Canal Street Tavern.    the first time.   Ex Lostie Chris Emery  and
Snoop Duggy Dug and my friend Michele were there,   seated on the church
pews drinking beer  (which is sinfully fun,  and highly recommended),   and
they all played along with one of the first  "I love you, Terri"  shout
outs,   shouting  "I love you Jack!"  and "I love you Brian"   and "I love
you Linford"  as well.     and then there was the church pew drinking.
and the lovely gay waiter we had later later at Denny's  (he was a trip!)
and i don't know if i mentioned drinking beer on the church pews or not,
but that was fun.

#4)     you know, i really oughta know the name of the club......or check a
ticky stub,  but  i can't.... and i'm lazy.    but it was a nightclub in the
flats of cleveland  (he'p me DM!)   that they've played at least a couple
times.    dark.  black.   a little ramp leading down the side to the gig and
drinkie area.   not the phantasy.  not the symposium.   odeon?    yeah, i
think it's the odeon.     anyway  on to the point:  vigilantes of love
opened for 'em.   first time to see the vigilantes of love,   and they
kicked ass.   one kick-ass band followed by another kick-ass band,  what
could be better than that?

#5)  the Ark in Ann Arbor,  the first time.    what a place!    not opulent,
like the Michigan Theatre,   but  "reverent"  is the word that always comes
to mind.    this place is like a shrine to rock bands   (scratch that.
musicians!)   and has a respect -factor i have not seen before or since
(except the next time i saw 'em at the Ark).     too cool a place.   you
must go to the Ark,  that's all there is to it.

#6)  back to that place in cleveland that i think may be the Odeon.     i
had  done a little bit of,  um,  "work" or "suggesting"  or "cajoling"  or
"sweet-talking"  or something  so that my local musician favourite Anne E.
DeChant could get an opening spot for the Cleveland gig,   and   (yay!)  she
did.   So i was really looking forward to this one   (see reason #4)  but
then i learned the disappointing news that her guitarist had just decided to
leave the band shortly before the gig.   Anne recruited a friend from
another local band,   and  did "the show must on"  trooping,  but that show
was memorable in that it came with some disappointment.     still,  we love
Anne to bits.   not  ~her~ fault!     doo doo happens.

#7)   Moonlight Gardens in Cincinnati.     db grew up down there,  went to
moonlight as a child, so that was fun for her.    met losties for the first
time,  so that was fun.    plow on boy's  niki buerig opened,   and she's
the bombdillyicious,  so that was fun.    we talked at her table like we
were family.   (and we're not).   met losties for the first time, lots of
them,  did i mention that?   went to kaldi's.    met another anne e. dechant
fan in the audience,  all the way down in cincinnati.

ok,  that's enough.    many other gigs,   but gotta draw the line at
memorability somewhere.   7'll do.

bruce and liesel both were astonished that i'm  only 400 years old.
normally, i don't edit my crap,  unless i see a typo  (much to your dismay,
i know).    but this time i edited away a zero,  and  then i noticed i had
to edit away the comma, too.    i used to be a lot older before i sent that
letter off.   i'm sure ~this~  wouldn't surprise bruce  (who was one of the
losties met at moonlight,  above).

broccoli  (bruce again):     mmmmm,  broccoli.   yumm.  i prefer the stalkie
bits to the floret bits,  but i like the florets just fine once they're
cooked a little,   and i still like 'em  almost as well raw.   a little
ranch dip........ was that saliva dripping onto my keyboard?  will that hurt
anything?

pop-tarts  (author ???):   went on a wwwtrip  to see about the spelling of
pop-tarts  (hyphenated)    and came across a few sites of the incendiary
properties of them,  especially the strawberry ones.     we already knew
this as db's  dad caught his kitchen on fire with them a few years ago.
silly rabbit!

fu*k  (dan,  everyone else):   i don't mean  "fu*ck dan and everyone
else"----- i was attributing "fu*k"  to  dan,   and then everyone else who
made this a popular thread   (perhaps for the joy of seeing it pop up in
front of kelvin's mom?!).       i have no problem with the word  fu*k:    i
say it, i hear it,  i think it,  i do it, i write it,  i read it,   i know
it, i like it.    i am certain i have spelled it all the way out at times on
this list in the past and may do so again at some time in the future.
knowing that there are some of you (or your moms)  who may not be as comfy
with it as me,   i usually throw another character in it somewhere so you
won't be offended.    someone  (mattrix?)   asked what is it about this that
makes it okay,    is it shifting the onus onto the reader?    yeah,  maybe
that's it.    i don't see it as too different from substituting other
similar words for it,   to pussyfoot around the word   (and don't pick up on
the p-word there,  people!)   like  "frickin'"   or "frigging".     if
what's on your mind requires you to say  "friggin'"   and we all know what's
implied here,   then just say  "fu*kin'"  like you really want to anyway.
by extension of that logic,  maybe i should fill in the "c"  but i think i
prefer that  burden to fall on you, like matt said.

rah rah  rhee!
kick 'em in the knee!
rah rah rhass!
kick 'em in the other knee!

somethin' like that.

dan, it was a naughty subject line.    wash your fingertips off with soap.

exile on main st.  (peter????):    yeah, it's  good.   it's my 2nd favourite
stones album,  behind   __some girls__

exile in guyville  (liesel):     yeah, it's good too.    generally speaking,
my tastes run more towards alternative music than classic - rock music.
so if i had to take one but not both to the desert island,  i'd be packin'
baby liz.

i guess that's it.   i'll be just sittin' here waitin' for more jet fuel,
cuz i know it won't be long.
have (or i hope you had)   a good weekend,
jg
np:  the neilds (bruce s.) __play__