Re: Nothing to do with Nine Inch Nails, really.

>From: Ysobelle at aol_com
>You know, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the hell he was
>talking about. I'm censoring G-d? Huh?

Give him a break.  Honest mistake, no?  I never really thought you to be
anti-God myself, but it could be possible to misconstrue things you've said
here in that manner.  Such is the limitation of the faceless, pseudo-social
internet.

>Hey, Matt, here's a lesson for you. Yes, as my friends have been kind
>enough to point out, I'm Jewish, even though I don't usually mention it
>here. I'll get to why later.

Oh, Jessyka told me you were.  Yes, I've heard about the customs regarding
respect for the name of the Most High, but the confusion stems from the fact
that I regard the word God as a title, not a name.  Christ is also a title,
and you type that out, but it is more of a vague term than God, and one I
know you don't associate with a true diety.  Therefore, I had hoped you
didn't have a fundamental issue with "The" God, and now see that you don't.
Thanks.  It is a relief to know that.  Seriously, I was worried.

>In our culture, it's considered disrespectful to write out the name of
>the Creator/G-d/however you choose to say it in a transitory medium.
>Paper burns, stone crumbles, etc. Thus one never writes it out, really.

See, the "however you choose to say it" part is the source of the
misunderstanding.  That is kinda vague and nebulous.  How do Jewish scholars
write theologcal texts and essays withut referring to God "however they
choose to say it"?  If allowances aren't made for titles, such as God, or
descriptives such as "the creator", how do they get around this?  Help me to
understand this point, 'cause I'm curious.

>so it's okay to write out the word G-d online. But it's
>habit with me now (and I suppose, what happens if someone prints out my
>post? Although I guess I'm not writing it myself that time so maybe it
>wouldn't count? Anyhow....) and I choose not to write it.

I've said it before, to you and other listees, and I'll say it again...if
this thing we call the list is gonna last we've gotta all allow each other
to be ourselves at all times. If that is what you feel comfortable with, go
with it, by all means.

Just be prepared to face this confusion again, somewhere along the line.
And for me and all my kin to exhalt the name "Jesus" once in awhile.  Let's
reciprocate!  :-)

Sorry if anything I said was deemed upsetting to you.  Thanks for sharing.
It was educational!

Take care,

Matt

Oh, one last thing:
>So. Why don't I mention what religion I am? Cos it's no one's damn
>business.

Sure, but don't you feel better now that you've gotten that off your chest?