Re: false dichotomies and what rhymes with Jebus?

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Kelvin Bailey wrote:
> --- Dan Temmesfeld <dtemm at yahoo_com> wrote:

> > christ didn't call his followers to act as separate.  so, if there is
> > a dichotomy, it is one that should not be.  period.
>
> Hmmm,
> How about "Be holy even as God is holy."

That's what the OT says (or close enough, a la Leviticus 19:2).  Jesus
rephrases this saying in two ways in the NT, depending on which gospel you
read; Matthew 5:48 says, "Be perfect, therefore, even as your heavenly
Father is perfect," and Luke 6:36 says, "Be merciful, just as your Father
is merciful."  (Some translations prefer "Be compassionate...")

BTW, it occurs to me that Matthew has a tendency to replace the word "God"
with the word "Heaven" in Jesus' sayings, thus, "the Kingdom of God"
becomes "the Kingdom of Heaven".  It's all part of that Jewish
self-censorshi, I suppose, but there *is* a biblical precedent for it.

> or "Come out from among them and be separate."

Jesus doesn't say that.  Paul says that, in II Corinthians 6:17.