Re: dancer in the dark

In a message dated 1/25/02 12:00:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Owner-Over-The-Rhine at actwin_com writes:

<< Jan 2002 06:22:40 -0700 (MST)
 From: rhys daily <shadow at teuton_org>
 Subject: noise as music

 interesting thought.

 anyone seen dancer in the dark?  great movie - good use of noise for
 rhythm melody harmony and tempic changes.

 think i made up a word.

 i like cranes, they sound nice too.

 trains, i love the clack and sway.  it's music to my ears/ not always,
 but sometimes. speaking of far away places, lulling me to sleep too. and
 the throbbing roar of shiop motors and air planes.  yea, the fighter
 planes...

 i like noise.

 as for saturday - if we go, that will be when we go.  i will keep checking
 for details.

 absolutely woudl love to go

 of course.

 rhys

I loved Dancer in the Dark. I thought it was very powerful. It reaffirms my
belief that Bjork can do anything and do it well. I think your comment about
noise as music is really perceptive. Of course taking sounds and making them
music, even everyday sounds is hardly original, but the songs seemed to have
their own personality.
The trains sound really good, I agree, but one of the most interesting songs
is where she begins daydreaming in the theater and the rhythm sounds like it
is sneakers on a hardwood floor, complete with basketballs bouncing. I find
that incredibly innovative. If you haven't checked out Bjork's newest
release, Vespertine, I encourage you to do so. It has a lot of "noises" on
it. Everything from cameras clicking to feet moving in the snow. Oh, and on
one track the rhythm is someone shuffling a deck of cards. That's Bjork for
you.

Brittney

np: Bjork "Gling-Glo"