dancer in the dark

my oh my.  i just watched dancer in the dark last night.  certainly
not your average movie.  i have really mixed feelings about it.
unfortunately, i liked the musical interludes better in theory than
in actuality, but at the same time, even in traditional musicals i
generally find myself suffering through to the end of the songs
(dunno why- i love music, i just don't like it mixed in w/ drama).
but my major complaint w/ dancer in the dark surprises even me: i
thought it was altogether too disturbing.  the violence was so
explicit and surprising.  don't get me wrong; i think meaningful,
provacative, political art is a necessary and good thing.  maybe i'm
just getting old.  i swear i'm not a censorship junkie.  i just don't
want to see certain things.  i ended up crying more than just movie
tears- more like the heaving kind usually reserved for getting
dumped, etc.  but it truly was an incredible movie, worth watching,
though you might want to cover your eyes.
peace out ya'll,
-=katherine=-

=====
"feel the slip and the grip of grace again"  ~~over the rhine