review of Derek Webb at Calvin College

Hi everyone.
Okay, I've got a touch (okay, more than a touch) of the flu, so
hopefully this wont sound totally rediculous when I'm normal again
(normal, of course, used in the loosest sense of the word)
So I went to the Derek Webb concert today, and also there was his wife,
Sandra McCracken with him.  She was charming and did a short set, pretty
evenly devided between guitar and piano.  She came out later and played
with him too.
Oh, I should also mention that they spent an hour with my class this
afternoon as well, which was a fabulous surprise.  We talked about
music, lyrics and meaning, and how some audiences want to have music
explained to them, and some don't need it.  And they played a song each,
which was lovely.  Derek played "center aisle" which he no longer does
in concert, so it was REALLY cool.  And I don't remember the name of her
song.  In fact, I sort of spaced and just listened to the music and not
the lyrics, and felt foolish when they asked us (on one hearing) to
determine what her song meant.  Oh well.  But anyway, it was pretty
cool.  I love this school.
Back to the concert, Derek's set was excellent.  He did a fairly even
mix of new songs and familiar ones.  Highlights included "Table for Two"
but it was performed with a sense of wistful remembering rather than the
intensity with which he has done it in the past, due to his romantic
situation.  Also, he did a little blues number which was VERY enjoyable,
as well as some other favorites, and a beautiful version of some
hymn.... SHOOT what was it?  combined with Leonard Cohen's "Halleluja".
I want to say "come thou fount of every blessing" but that's not it.  He
also did an encore, which is atypical for him, which was Dance.
The crowd was disapointingly sparse, but those who did decide to show up
were pleasantly rewarded with a wonderful acoustic show.
trying to get better,
Bethany

np: Delirious: Mezzamorphis

--
~*~*~*~
"and the stories in my pockets are the best I've ever lived" -Sarah