Re: we just have a different crutch (Re: "Smoking Popes" )

>From: "ms. tarquini" >
>--- The Mattrix <soberman_69 at hotmail_com> wrote:
> > I'd prefer "Smoking Dopes", 'cause, with respect to
> > loverly Liesel, smokers
> > are dopes.

LMT:
>are there any other smokers on the list (i'm not
>talking pot)?
>we are not dopes.  we are addicted and mostly hate the
>addiction except when we love it.  i cannot explain
>the sense of satisfaction that comes from a cigarette
>after a meal.

Yes, we are all into things we hate.  St. Paul was honest about it.
Everyone's a dope, me too.

>may i be melodramatic for a moment.  of course:

Yes, "of course".  You may be yourself, please, at all times.

>there was a time two years ago (and if you pick up on
>subtle hints and read my posts you'll be able to guess
>when that time was) that i HAD to quit smoking.

Ya' know, I almost e-mailed you off-list about that.  I'm very attuned to
these things.  Really.

it
>took me 4 months to drop it totally.  i felt like i
>had lost a friend.  seriously.  they're there when i'm
>stressed, they're there when i'm happy, nervous,
>tired, hungry.  they sit with me over a hot cup of
>coffee on a daily basis.  i don't have a friend who
>does that(though a couple come close) and probably
>won't until i'm married.

You know you have a friend in Jesus.

>there are a couple of very convincing arguments for
>bitch-slapping me for starting to smoke again.

I'd say more like "hugging" than "bitch slapping".

what
>can i say i spent almost three weeks living in a
>neo-natal intensive care unit with nothing to do but
>hope and found myself one afternoon on a bitter
>january sidewalk with a hot cup of coffee and
>cigarette.  and i felt better.  for 5 minutes.  but
>that was all i needed to keep myself from sobbing on
>the floor of the icu and keep me off of
>anti-depressants.

"What can I say", indeed.  Except that there's no need to attempt to justify
your decisions to anyone, least of all me, just so long as you are happy-
everything you do is between yourself and God.  Anyway, you aren't happy...

>sorry i'm a little defensive on this topic.
>liesel

No need to apologize.  Sorry my attempt at a goofy joke upset you.  Of
course, there was a grain of truth in it.  However, I don't think smokers
are LITERALLY dopes, it just rhymed.

I really care about people.  (Going to school for nursing even, remember),
and I want to see everyone happy.  I know nobody who is happy with an
addiction they don't like.  P. Yorn quotes and other red flags aside,
there's no way someone as bright as you could be happy with smoking.   So,
cheer up, you've beat that demon before, and you can beat it again.  And the
Beetles said "All you ned is Love."

=====