Re: Buechner

>From: BEric123 at aol_com
>To: Over-the-Rhine at actwin_com
>Subject: Re: Buechner
>Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 16:46:04 EST
>
>A little while ago  some people were discussing Daniel Amos and Mr.
>Buechner's Dream. I remember somebody referring to THE BANQUET AT THE END
>OF
>THE WORLD.

Me. It was me!

What is this? Is it something Buechner wrote? I'm fairly familiar
>with him. I was thinking it might be in the magnificent defeat but I can't
>find it. Any help would be appreciated!

"Banquet At The World's End", if you read the lyrics Peter linked, is a very
literal adaptation of a passage from Linford's favorite (As mentioned in the
frist "Northern Spy" that came with the earliest editions of "Besides")
"Wishful Thinking: A Theological ABC", the bt on parables from pages 66-67:

"...Both the sadness and the fun are at their richest in the parable of the
great banquet (Luke 14:16-24).  The Beautiful People all send in their
excuses, of course-their real estate, their livestock, their sex lives-so
the host sends his social secretary out into the streets to bring in the
poor, the maimed, the blind, the lame.
     The string ensemble strikes up the overture to 'The Bartered Bride',
the champagne glasses are filled, the cold pheasant is passed round, and
there they sit by candelight with their white canes and their empty sleeves,
their Youngsown haircuts, their orthopedic shoes, their sleazy clothes,
their aluminum walkers.  A woman with a harelip proposes a toast.  An old
man with the face of Lear on the heath and a party hat does hs best to rise
to his feet.  A deaf-mute thinks people are starting to go home and pushes
back from the table.  Rose petals float in the finger bowls.  The strings
shift into the 'Liebestod.'
     With parables and jokes both,if you've got to have it explained, don't
bother."

HTH,

Matt