Re: Vampire Hunter D 2000

>From: "Chris Ramsdale" >
>Now i've learned something.  I saw a preview for Vampire Hunter D this fall
>when I went to see Akira in a local theater.

Lucky stiffs.  Nothing seems to come to Pittsburgh, anime-wise, anymore.
Oh, we had Jin-Roh for two big days- WHICH I MISSED!
Of course, I'd seem the original English version of AKIRA (Spell that in all
caps, or you volate the artist's intetions.) three times during the early
ninties theatrical run.

>It all makes sense now.  I saw th '85 video.  And they were showing the
>2000 Bloodlust one in the theater.  Alas, it is no longer in the theater so
>I must wait for the DVD release in February.

Yeah, but I'm thining about boycotting that DVD.  No Japanese language
track?!?  Urban Vison can _____ my _____.  I hope the English version was
good?  (Ysoie?)

Oh, I think the new film, based on the trailer I saw off the net sometime
last year, is a studio Madhouse production, which probably means Yoshiaki
Kawajiri had a hand in it.  His films tend to be more realistic than the
average anime, from a visual perspecive, of course. (Demon City Shinjuku,
Ninja Scroll, Wicked City, Cyber City Oedo)  That right Ysoie?

It is not a remake, make no mistake.  Wish I'd gone to Cleveland to see it
last month. :-(

>Nosing around I also learned that the films are based on a series of
>novels.  I suppose that makes sense...

Sure.  Many anime are, including: Perfect Blue, the second Tenchi Muyo
movie, the new Fushigi Yugi OVA, Kishin Corps, The Hakkenden, Legend of the
Galactc Heroes, Grave of the Fireflies, Tale of Genji, and Night on the
Galactic Railroad, to name a few off the top of my head.

And many, many more are based on GRAPHIC novels, or become them.   Or are
based on video games- SEGA's Panzer Dragoon, Sakura Taisen and Battle
Atheletes spring to mind.

Semi-related note:  On tonight's "Buffy", which I sorta didn't like until
the very end, some kids flee from a game of "Planet Harriers" at the
Sunnydale arcade.  Sigh, how I'd love to try that game.  I curse the day
SEGA got out of the console business. Damn Sony and Nintendo.

Dreamcast forever!!!

Viva SEGA,

Matt