Re: Grammys

The Mattrix sez:

>Then again, there is the theory that, if you introduce any music to the
>public gradually, and tell them its going to be the "next big thing", they
>will generally embrace it.  This theory has taken on a life of its own, and
>it is now called "radio" and "MTV".  Seems to be working to boot.

The Strokes are the best example of this that i can think of.  I know that both they are the BRMC are very big in Europe, and they have similar musical styles, but i wonder how many of you have heard anything, much less as much as what you've heard of the Strokes.

The problem with the Grammys is that they are tunnel visioned
>to the mainstream commercial aspects of the industry.  I remember when U2
>would have laughed at a Grammy nomination.
Yeah, but they sold out years ago

This may be a popular sentiment, but, bearing in mind that i'm not old enough to remember U2 in the Eighties, i disagree.  i've always thought that they've been honest about who they are and what they are trying to say.  i know that they've continually been one of the world's most influential bands since the late '80's. Anyway, this is probably a whole other topic.

>But, since I brought up the Oils AND my co-workers, I'd like to point
>something out here.  The Oils hits collection contains numerous top forty
>songs- from Australia.  When I play it at work, some of my co-workers can
>only really get into the one top twenty US hit, which is not the class of
>the disc, BTW. Why is that?  Melodies that pleased the Oz public can't quite
>please my American pop lovin' co-workers?  Does that makes sense?  Taken in
>the context of the mass marketing brain-wash of the radio, it sure does.
>Familiarity breeds acceptance.

That's entirely what it is.  i used to go through the same things when i would play some good Canadian music, and my roommates would just hate the stuff.

And for what its worth, U2 hasn't put
>out a record worthy of their talent since Joshua Tree.
>(Begin flaming now)
Of course, i disagree with that.  Achtung Baby was brilliant, as is ATYCLB

my two cents

ken