movies (no otr)

Happy New Year all!

Whoever it was that said "You must see Amelie!"... I'm jealous.  Our
film fest just ended Sunday.  Amelie was the 7:30 movie on Saturday.
I was so excited to see it and got sick.  Sick enough that not even
the film fest could budge my desire to stay on the couch w/ my juice
and kleenex.

But between 12/19 and 12/28 I did see:

-Lantana; I've seen few films from australia and I've liked them all.
 Unrelated people all interwoven w/ each other.  I like movies that
do this well.  This one did.  Barbara Hershey, Anthony LaPaglia and
Geoffrey Rush were amazing.  Small handful of unfamliar actors (to
me) who were equally impressive.

-Focus;  William H. Macy, Laura Dern and... Meatloaf.  New York,
anti-semitism during WWII.  Good story, from an Arthur Miller short
story.  I dig Laura Dern and it was good to see her again.  Macy..
never a bad word do I have for this man.

-Waking Life;  Wow.  Loved this, really loved this.  I was looking
forward to it more due to all of you who had written your comments
about it and was highly sastisfied coming out of this movie.  Of 36
movies its the only movie the director of the fest showed twice.  He
said, "for those of you who haven't seen Waking Life and those of you
who did and don't know what it was you saw.. come back Friday @
9:30", *cue chuckling throughout theater*

-Ghost World;  I really liked it but it went kinda slow.  Steve
Buscemi, c'mon, love the guy!  Not to mention I've been a Thora Birch
fan since American Beauty (never saw D&D, if it shows up on cable, i
suppose then i will) and she was a treat in this.

-Monsters Ball;  This was one of my favorite movies of what I took in
at the fest.  Billy Bob T. and Halle Berry.  I was kinda like, "eh"
when I heard the Halle Berry part but let me say, did she ever
deserve that GG nomination for this.  Peter Boyle, whew, nice job.
Intense emotional film w/ equally intense acting.

-The Shipping News;  My other favorite of the fest.  I was so excited
to see this, and wasn't let down.  I've never read the book, but many
there had and who I talked to afterwards really enjoyed it.  To think
about Spacey in Swimming with the Sharks, Hurly Burly, Big Kahuna,
roles of that sort, then to see Shipping News, just, wow.  Great
film, great story, great (no, wonderful) cast, great acting, I give
it a big great thumbs up.

-In The Bedroom;  My third wow.  Sissy Spacek and Tom Wilkinson were
incredible, beyond incredible.  You could feel their emotions through
the screen, beautifully done.  Heavy dose of a movie.

-The Man Who Wasn't There;  I'm a Coen Brothers fan, a big one.  So
all I can say is, if you like the Coen Brothers, you're gonna really
enjoy this.

And, sadly, this is where I got sick and missed several flicks I was
looking forward too.  Hopefully they'll play Amelie again for one of
the weekly movies throughout the year.

Anybody got any recomendations?

michelle

fest site for curious film lovers on the list:
http://www.mauifilmfestival.com/firstlight2001/firstlight.htm