Re: daniel amos (was: questions i combined (no otr))

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 OncleBoo at aol_com wrote:
> Hmmm...  personally, the "techno-era DA", as you put it, is my favorite
> stuff of theirs.  Then again, that's the DA I grew up on, and that's the
> material they were playing way back when when I'd get to see them live.

DA has never played Vancouver since I discovered them in the mid-1980s, so
I had no way of seeing them live at all ... until I went to Cornerstone
2000 (which was their first concert together since 1993, no?).

That also happened to be the festival where I saw Over the Rhine live for
the first time, and bought all the OTR albums I didn't already have.

Good memories, all!

> Somewhere, I've got "Horrendous Disc" and all 4 Alarma Chronicles albums
> on vinyl.

Same here!

> Perhaps I shouldn't admit this, but I may even have "Shotgun Angel" on
> 8-track...

Eep!  No 8-tracks *here*!  :)

> I can see why you might not like "Vox Humana" - not all the songs on
> there are great, but "Travelog", "William Blake" and "Sanctuary" are
> fabulous, IMHO.  I enjoy "Home Permanent" quite a bit too, and "Dance
> Stop" was just a whole heck of a lot of fun during their concerts.

I've always loved 'When Worlds Collide', too -- and 'She's All Heart'
perfectly captured my mood during one of them highschool relationships. :)

> What is "Kalhoun" like?

Louder, brasher, not as (over?)produced as _Motor Cycle_, but also not as
raw as _Bibleland_ (an album that has *really* grown on me).

> I believe it, and "Mr. Buechner's Dream", are the only DA albums I don't
> have.

You can download several MBD songs from the band's mp3.com site (including
one song that never made it onto the actual album!).

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/21/daniel_amos.html