Re: questions i combined (no otr)

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 Gilhamilton at aol_com wrote:
> petert at interchange_ubc.ca writes:

> > I first came up with this idea years ago (back when _The Last
> > Temptation of Christ_ came out in 1988, actually) because I was trying
> > to reconcile the idea that Jesus was "fully human" with the idea that
> > Jesus was "without sin".  I finally concluded that our sin was what
> > made us less than human -- we were not the humans that God made us to
> > be.
>
> Peter, ever read Buechner's essay *the tiger* in *the magnificent
> defeat*? (1)

Alas, I regret to say that my only exposure to Buechner has been
second-hand, in what artists like Terry Scott Taylor and Carolyn Arends
and writers like Philip Yancey have said about him.

> He comes to a similar conclusion as you using a parable from Ramakrishna
> as the jumping point.  The parable, in short, is about a motherless
> tiger raised by goats who learns to emulate their ways.  One day, he
> meets up with a king tiger.  The king tiger takes him to a pool and
> shows him their reflections side by side, gives him meat, until finally
> the motherless tiger recognizes that he is a tiger not a goat.

Interesting.  Sort of an ugly-duckling story, in a way.

> just my coupla cents into to this facinating discussion. I won't touch
> the inerrancy/errancy thing even thought I have a couple thoughts
> because frankly, y'all are making my brain hurt!

They have pills for that, you know.  That, and surgical procedures.  :)