Re: questions i combined (no otr)

In a message dated 12/30/01 2:53:29 PM Central Standard Time,
petert at interchange_ubc.ca writes:

<<
 > Peter, you've brought this up before in our conversations...that
 > becoming more like Jesus is essentially becoming more human.  Discuss?
 > I still can't quite grab a hold of this.

 I first came up with this idea years ago (back when _The Last Temptation
 of Christ_ came out in 1988, actually) because I was trying to reconcile
 the idea that Jesus was "fully human" with the idea that Jesus was
 "without sin".  I finally concluded that our sin was what made us less
 than human -- we were not the humans that God made us to be.

Peter, ever read Buechner's essay *the tiger* in *the magnificent defeat*?
(1) He comes to a similar conclusion as you using a parable from Ramakrishna
as the jumping point.  The parable, in short, is about a motherless tiger
raised by goats who learns to emulate their ways.  One day, he meets up with
a king tiger.  The king tiger takes him to a pool and shows him their
reflections side by side, gives him meat, until finally the motherless tiger
recognizes that he is a tiger not a goat.
 Being full of and raised in a world of sin we are blinded to who we really
are.  What it truly is to be *human*.  But our nature won't let us be at
peace with it because it really is not us.  Deep inside we know we were meant
to be something better.  We bleat well enough but somehow it's not enugh, we
want to roar.  Then one day we meet the Tiger, the one who is fully human and
he shows us who we were meant to be and all we thought we were explodes into
ruins and we either let out a tentative roar or cover our eyes and go on with
our bleating.

kevin

just my coupla cents into to this facinating discussion. I won't touch the
inerrancy/errancy thing even thought I have a couple thoughts because
frankly, y'all are making my brain hurt!

(1) I think I mentioned this essay on the list once before but it means a lot
to me and seemed to fit in well with Peter's thought so I hope those that
remember pardon the repetition.