Re: proofs and people

--- "Peter T. Chattaway" <petert at interchange_ubc.ca>
wrote:

 To some of the liberal kids, this
> made it sound like
> > God was not only bloodthirsty, but rather stupid:
> to set up the rules of
> > his own game this way and then try to make us all
> feel grateful for
> > letting us off a hook he put us on in the first
> place.

Then Peter addded

> Yeah, if not stupid, it does make God look
> disingenuous, or neurotic, or
> masochistic, or something similarly unflattering.

Then I reluctantly joined the fray...

I was really trying to stay out of this, was actually
deleting all these without reading them.  But this
caught my eye (and dragged if 50 feet!).  Note that
i'm not attributing the beliefs signified by the above
quotes to Don or Peter, they just brought up this kind
of thinking.

So the thininking is that if God made up His own rules
to the game and then expects us to feel grateful to
Him for letting us win by those rules, this supposedly
makes him bloodthirsty, stupid, neurotic and
masochistic.

I think it's incredibly arrogant of anyone to think
they can even begin to see or understand things from
God's perspective.  Who of us has ever been holy,
perfect, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, all
loving or creator of the world?  I think what happens
most of the time is that we who are sinful, imperfect,
shortsighted, finite, ignorant, mean and lacking
create our own rules and expect God to play by them.
I've tried that.  His response..."No thanks, pal.
Mine are infinitely better."

"If we want to discover the truth, we need to find a
way to access this God: the true God.  Not your god,
or my god, or a pleasant potpourri.  We meed to meet
THE God.  The one who is not of our design or making:
the one who did the making - the making of you, of me,
of our world, and all that we see.  We need to log on
to His page and become interactive with Him."
----- James Langteaux (from God.Com)

=====
What if the hokey-pokey really IS what it's all about?!?