Re: matt's take

hi matt and list,

> JM replied:
> >-->well yeah :)  but i'm going to play devil's
> >advocate for fun: is violence inherently, 100%
> evil,
> >biblically speaking or otherwise?  if it were,
> would
> >god so feasibly order that whole communities of
> men,
> >women, children _and_ their animals be wiped out???
> >and i doubt it was by lethal injection.
>
> God is all about upholding righteousness.  The
> unrighteous get punished.

yeah, but do babies and animals have anything to do
with evil decisions of men (and possibly women at that
time)?  we could understand the violence against them
metaphorically to living in this world and being
sinned against, but it makes you wonder.  in one case
god is the agent and in the other evil.

> Does a parent who spanks her brat deserve to be
> called a child abuser?  If
> the answer is "yes", the I guess God is a genocidal
> maniac.  More than
> likely, though, He's just givin' us a large- scale
> spankin' in the examples
> you've cited.

i'm not against the kind of parenting you're talking
about.  but when death comes into view, we have to ask
eternal questions.  pain is different than death.  as
a punishment, suffering and a chance to repent is a
different situation than being wiped out by someone
you don't know in the name of a righteous cause and
mandate.

i don't pretend to say that god was wrong.  i just
don't understand it all.  and i can't say that god
hasn't sometimes delt out "violence," whatever his
higher purpose, b/c i'd say he has.

> What doesn't kill you, (the species
> as a whole) makes you
> stronger, ya now?

i can't say i'm totally with you on that point :)
might as well do away with the entire concept of mercy
given that view.

> ever spank you?  Did she also used to sneak out at
> night with a choice piece
> of cutlery tucked under her trenchcoat?  See my
> point?

huh?  i will say that i was never beat with cutlery.
and i'm glad for that :)  a rod/punishment is one
thing and abuse is quite another.  one brings a kind
of life and the other death.

glad to be alive,
j. marie