Re: Books and Chicago

'ello :)

brian said:

>Hemingway's _The Sun Also Rises (I'm willing myself
>finish it)...

i hated that book!  i dislike hemingway though.  that
whole lost generation is annoying to me.  whine,
whine, WINE.  sex, lust, whine, apathy, whine.  and
not even _that_ artfully.

>translation of Beowulf (fascinating and enjoyable).

seamus heany's?  i want to read that one.

>A lot of my past year has been responding to people
in
>my life who have wrestled painfully with this
brooding
>restlessness and dissatisfaction.  I guess I don't
>have a problem with people wanting to be as happy |
>fulfilled | satisfied as possible--but that has to
>happen within the context of their other commitments.

i guess we do keep going back always to who's being
worshiped--what life is about.  me, me, me...?  'cause
even when people do things for others, it's often with
a larger, manipulative motivation that is ultimately
selfish.  what about things that last?  losing our
lives to gain them.  always a fun concept.

ave maria!  i've been posting a lot.  and not reading
any of my books :)

always in trouble somehow,
j. marie