judging kings...heh (was Re: pick and choose)

and peter said:

>Actually, no, that was not the point of Judges.  The
>full quote from
>Judges 17:6 and 21:25 is, "In those days, Israel had
>no king. Everyone
>did
>as he saw fit."  In fact, "In those days, Israel had
>no king" is
>repeated
>in Judges 18:1 and 19:1 *without* the >phrase
"Everyone did as he saw
>fit."
>The key idea for the author of Judges, then, is that
>Israel had no
>king,
>and the chaos of those times made the rise of the
>monarchy necessary.

i don't think that omission necessarily implies the
greater importance of reacting to chaos (while
excluding the redemption need issue)...especially
since it probably came mainly from the rejection of
god as king and leader.

>But as we know from the following books, the monarchy
>had problems,
>too.

and we could think about the context of the entire
tanak.  and then add the new testament.  when i talk
about adding all this together, i'm not talking about
mere hermeneutics and facts and history--i'm talking
about the ways that are above ours.  this would
probably go back to grounds for faith and the
differences among the christians on the list--but as
for me and my house :), i'm goin' with infallibility
even if i can't quite stand on inerrancy.

the great plan to lead us and to be in relationship
with us.  the chaos seems like just the basic fruit of
disobedience--and searching for a king among men yet
another characteristically stupid thing we humans do.
humanism vs. theism...self vs. god.  it's the basic
struggle we still face.  from the tower of babble to
sacrificing myself for another in god's name.  do i
worship myself or do i worship him?  my will or his?

the ways that seem _right_ (...or is it "good"?) to a
_man_ lead to death?  that might just be true :)

-j. marie