From: Tobi
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2001 6:15 AM
To: Over-the-Rhine at actwin_com
Subject: Re: LOTR (possible spoilers)

huh? Did we read the same book? I saw the movie, too, yesterday and I was
quite disappointed. The whole first book was completely changed and not for
the better. Merry and Pippin didn't come with Frodo out of friendship but
their way happened to cross that of Frodo and so they thought "oh, why not
come with them", the black rider is just some feet away from the hobbits but
rides on. And not because there are elves coming, no there are no elves at
all until Rivendell. The whole Old Forest and Tom Bombadil and the
Barrow-Downs were missing, the hobbits followed Aragorn and it's not until
they are on their way that one of the hobbits wonders if they can trus him
at all. Saruman is portrayed totally wrong as in the book he believes he can
betray Sauron in the end. You can see the stone trolls in the background at
one time but nobody seems to bother... I could go on with this for hours.
Then from Rivendell on the story was ok but the mood... at least Lothlorien
should be a beautiful place where the soul can breathe again after Moria.
But it's all shown as dark and Galadriel is shown more as a witch than an
Elven-Lady. The elves in general... where are the songs, the merriness, they
are all grim. The only merry parts of the whole movie were the scenes in the
Shire.
Well, I'm really disappointed. Very good acting (Gandalf, Frodo, Bilbo and
Sam at least were great. But you can't deny that Merry and Pippin were used
as a kind of Jar Jar Binks), a lot of effort but the movie just missed the
point, imo.

tobi