Re: OtR Tonight/New Discussion topic

Kelvin wrote in response to Arthur Dent:
>> i just tell them that to send my kid to a private
>> university in 18 years, my financial advisor said
>> to start saving $800 a month.
>
> So send them to a state school.

indeed.  state schools (high school and college)
can be just as good (or better).  and way cheaper.

i went to a public high school and got a GREAT
education- even took some classes at the collegiate
level my senior year.

i went to a private college, got a good education,
got indoctrinated in a way that i would never choose
to do again, got pissed off, and paid far too much
for something that i could have gotten easier with-
out all of the bullshit.

putting $800/month in crappy to moderate interest
bearing funds would bring in PLENTY for anything.

AFTER 18 YEARS
  2% bearing: $       2,898,861.09
  5% bearing: $     634,141,791.85
  8% bearing: $ 179,041,997,504.02

i assume that was a joke.  so, i'll shut up now and

if it wasn't a joke, well, Arthur Dent (or at least
the person using his name for a screenname) has a
poorly informed financial advisor.

one hoopy frood,
Dan

np: collective soul - s/t