over-reacting(Re: yet do not, i would not go)

--- Kelvin Bailey <prestokelvo at yahoo_com> wrote:
> I pretty much feel this way about most
> musicians/actors who espouse political causes.
>
> --- Alfred B Johnson <hoopyfrood at juno_com> wrote:
I find his approach
> > frustrating and maybe
> > offensive.  Emotional appeals, false dilemmas,
> > strawmen, glittering
> > generalities, etc etc etc, propagandistic sins of
> > the quick media world,
> > etc etc.  Discuss?

okay here's my beef with celebrity causes/propaganda:

why should i give a flying f**k what a celebrity
thinks?  these are very rarely real people.  i have
had a sneaking suspicion for some time that they are
really droids existing only for our mental demise.
i spent the entire weekend with excruciatingly
fabulous people, i am much more interested in their
opinions than that of a celebrity.  just once i would
like to see my neighbor on a commercial or in a milk
ad.  hi bono, you want to stop himalayan lamas from
being sheared?  and i should care why? because he is
bono (big freakin whoop)?  or because it's a good
cause?  9 times out of 10 celebs are ordinary people
in extraordinary circumstances -- i just hate how the
media has made them out to be demi-gods worthy of
idoltry.  if i am overreacting now you should see me
talk about gwenyth paltrow....of course i may also
just be bitter that i'm not famous :)

liesel

=====
"stories & cigarettes have ruined the lives of lesser girls"
p. yorn