gender bias (was Re: Holy Ball Lightning, Batman (no OtR)

Kelvin Bailey wrote:

> --- Bethany Keeley <blk4 at calvin_edu> wrote:
> >
> > If only it were so easy!  I flirt with the ones I
> > don't really want to
> > be flirting with, but I sort of do it subconciously
> > and then I realize
> > what I've done and I think "why is it so easy with
> > the ones I DON"T have
> > a crush on?" Gah.  Boys are trouble.
>
> Okay, dear, let's review:
>
> You - for whatever reason, conscious or unconscious -
> flirt with fellers that you're not interested in,
> basically putting out "I like you in *that* way"
> signals when you in fact don't like them in *that*
> way.  Then when they think "Hey, she likes me in
> *that* way" you get all discombobulated because the
> "wrong ones" are responding.  And then you have the
> estrogen filled gall to say "Boys are trouble".

yup, that's pretty much it.  Well, mostly.  Because he was flirting with
me too (maybe even first) and I just thought we were being friendly and
whatever, (and I thought he had a crush on my roommate, but apparantly
not) but I guess not.  Most of the time such signals go unnoticed (or
maybe they are ignored) and my life is so much easier.  However, the
rumor mill and "well meaning" friends tend to make things worse.  Okay,
really worse.  And SOME boys really are trouble, with these silly
ambiguous dates and whatnot.  I am being cynical today.  Perhaps living
in close proximity with so many late teenagers is affecting my
hormones?  I am SO ready to go home.

> My advice, buy a good book on ligic!  And maybe one on
> consequences.
>
> Just some friendly advice from the troubled gender...

I'm sure that my gender cynicism is not directed at you personally.  In
fact, most boys I know are very nice, some are even intelligent
thoughtful people.  Imagine.  (watch me backpedal.  This is what I get
for broadcasting my frustrations.  People say reasonable things to me)

> Kelvin
>
> =====
> Screw the whales.
> Save the subjunctive!

~*~*~*~
"and the stories in my pockets are the best I've ever lived" -Sarah
Masen