VoL short review...

Bill came through last night, and did a fine, fine set with the
band.  Standard three piece with another lead guitar - a fella named
Andrew from 5 o'clock People.  It was one of those types of gigs that tend
to make me wary with OtR or VoL - the church gig.  Apparently, they were
coming through around this time, but all the venues were booked up around
the Twin Cities.

Thus, an old C-Stoner pastor north of the Cities was _jubilant_ to host
them (the pastor was so happy that he went into a long, long history and
mark out for the band that was touching and a little funny - long enough
that the band actually sat down and just listened for a while...)

Marvelous set, and some new news.  Driving the Nails and Jugular are being
re-released on plain vanilla CDs (liner notes and covers provided at the
site).  Electromeo, Recent Sketches (the bonus CD from the Audible Sigh
limited edition), and four Audible Sigh-era songs that didn't get put on
any of the four AS editions are being repackaged as a single CD.

As Sherry put it, it was the highest quality loud sound that we'd ever
heard at a concert.  Some great moments where the bassist and Andrew
started throwing feedback into their guitars for some astounding moments
of pouring sound into our eardrums.  Bill was self-effusive as usual, and
kept the audience rapt telling stories and playing.  Smallish audience,
but bravo to the pastor for getting the word out as well as he had.  I
still prefer bars and coffee-houses for the Vigilantes, but I'm definitely
returning to the church in a couple of months to hear Butch Thompson, as
well as The Urban Hillbilly Quartet.

It's kind of fun, going to these shows up here.  There's a cabal of about
forty people that you see at every odd concert that has a connection to
the usual gang of C-Stone bands (Da, OtR, VoL).  As time goes by, it
becomes more and more enjoyable to see everyone, even if you don't really
know their names.

For those in the area, VoL is literally playing a house show
tonight.  Andy Boyer (from this list) is having the band over as a sort of
benefit for the band.  Ten bucks a head, very limited seating.  I'll be
attempting to record the show with my laptop rig - if turns out well
enough, I'll post the file for various and sundry to download.

-Drew

O ^ ^     Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew, SCA )
O(_|_) Tengo gusto de comer creyones. -Elian Gonzales, 4/27/00, Goats: the  X
O Check out splat.melm.org (monkey at melm_org) -----------------  comic strip |