Re: Oprah Books and Poisonwood

> > That is too funny.  I must confess that I was
> seriously considering
> > reading the Poisonwood Bible and I too decided not
> to because of the
> > cult of Oprah endorsement all over the cover.   I
> keep hearing
> > everybody say how great it is, but I don't know if
> I can get over the
> > Oprah hump.  Maybe I'll just stick with a good
> Charles Dickens
> > book....:)

I kind of felt the same way about 'I Know This Much Is
True'.  But it is indeed a very good book.  I'm now
listening to 'She's Come Undone' on tape (until I get
the cd player put in my car tomorrow) and I think it
is amazing.
I also know that Jonathan Franzen tried to prevent his
'The Corrections' from being labelled an Oprah book
because he feared it would compromise its integrity.
He has a good point, I suppose, but if we refused to
read a book because it has her name on it, we would
miss some gems (that we might otherwise not even have
been aware of).
It is nice to see her occassionally go beyond the
"poor downtrodden woman" genre.

Kelvin

=====
Screw the whales.