Re: Vegetarianism

Ysoie writes:

One thing I'm having a big problem with, lately, is the whole resurgence
of fur as some glorious fashion statement. All those high-profile models
who threw themsevles into the anti-fur campaign less than a decade ago
("I Wouldn't Be Caught Dead In Fur") are now hawking it like there's no
tomorrow. The blatant hypocrisy of it offends me. I find myself in
posession of a pair of earmuffs and gloves trimmed in rabbit fur, and I
do indeed have a problem with that. The only way around it is that I
believe that excess meat is used in animal feed such as that which I give
to my dog. It's not wasted. I wear leather because I also eat beef and
drink milk. I eat mutton because I wear wool. In a modern-day world, it's
the best balance I can make. But I don't eat silver fox or snow leaopard
or mink, and neither does anyone else I know. The fur industry isn't
about sustenance, it's about glamour, and I just don't think killing and
skinning an animal just for vanity is very glamorous

.

You've described my position on fur about as well as I could.  I am by no means an "animal rights" person, but I've always found fur to be cruel and, for lack of a better word, tacky.  As a guy, I'm not ever faced with the notion of wearing fur, but I've never seen it on a woman, even a beautiful model, and thought it glamorous.  Well said!

Chris