Letter from Linford

Hello everyone,

The late November sky in Ohio is a gray goosedown comforter flung gently over
our town, held aloft by leafless trees. It rained before the sun came up. The
branches are dark and slick and feminine. An American flag ripples gently on
a front porch down the street. A housewife backs her car out of the driveway:
the children are at school. Telephone wires out the attic window cut the
world into slung crescents, as if this life was painted a slice at a time.

Someone said that J.R.R. Tolkien expressed disappointment that we would use
the word "tree" to describe towering sources of shade. Maybe that's partly
why he felt compelled to invent his own language.

Good heavens, we apologize for the technical glitches with the digest version
of the discussion list yesterday. The boys in Boston said that a loop was
unwittingly created that spewed out messages by the dozens. Good thing God
created the delete button. Sorry about the mess in your e-mailboxes.

Well, this is really just a short note to say we made it back safely from
touring 13 countries in Europe and the UK. It was the trip of a lifetime in
many ways. So many beautiful cities: Dublin, Copenhagen, Olso, Berlin,
Stockholm, Lisbon, Madrid, Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris, small tucked-away
towns in Italy etc. Words seemed to want to fall out of my mouth as I looked
around.

Italy is a leatherbound book.
We walk on marbled endpapers
Beneath the glass blown sky.

There is something about a
mountain vineyard that seems
to suggest, Hope is not
lost. All may be well with the world
after all.

It was surreal to have the opportunity to perform our bag full of songs in
such faraway places. We found the audiences to be warm and curious about a
band called Over the Rhine. The Germans were especially protective,
explaining that the Rhine has long been considered a source of inspiration
for writers and musicians. If we could only name the band after a river in
every European country...

Thanks to all who made us feel so welcome.

The beds in Scandanavia seemed to want to wrap us up and comfort us. The
Norwegians and Swedes in particular have put alot of thought into their
duvets and goosedown pillows. Unbelievable. I know understand why some thick
blankets are referred to as "comforters."

Quickly, if we had to appoint an apartment, start a new life abroad with
European goods, and were only allowed to take a few things from each country,
this is how we might go about fluffing the nest: