Movies: HP and otherwise... no OtR <sigh>

> I saw the Harry Potter movie this weekend and it was excellent -- just as
> I had imagined it. And the boy who played Oliver Wood was awful cute. I
> went with my dad and my sisters, and my 10-year-old sister told us all
> the things the movie had left out afterward haha. So, the movie is
> DEFINATELY reccomended. I want to see it again :)
I saw the HP movie this weekend as well this weekend and was significantly disappointed.  Don't get me wrong it was entertaining, but I had expected so much more.  The Green screen effects could have used significant touch ups, especially the flying scenes.  Was it just me or did anyone else notice the significant transferrence between animated Harry and real Harry that was blatantly obvious.  I know that the kid couldn't do that many stunts etc, but the shadows were off by large amounts (see the bathroom scene with the Shrek/Troll). FXs aside, there were too many shots that just seemed to linger for long time periods on unimportant scenery (the train, Harry and owl by the fountain, etc.)  They also cut out a great deal of character development which I thought was the best part of the book.  I loved how they struggled against liking Hermione, but this was almost non-existent in the film.  Furthermore, it has come to my notice that Chris columbus has real trouble directing child actors which becomes glaringly
 obvious in this film.  Many of the lines are delivered with a significant "children's theater" style and emotions were connoted with the same lack of subtlety.  Look for the scene that is right out of "Home Alone"; screaming and all.

Now for what I liked:  I loved Hagrid and was very pleased with his screen time.  Granted some of this comes from my own Hagrid-esque appearance.  I have actually been pointed out by small children in the library as such.  Still he had very good presence and a nice balance of humor and sincerity.  Along the same lines I thought Harry and Ron had their moments of brilliance.  Ron's line about not panicking is delivered in a beautiful off-hand manner that should earn some praise.  Finally, I am very glad that the film did not pull back on the "fear factor."  There were a number of scenes that made me and my girlfriend jump, and I loved it.  I hope this trend continues.

All in all, it is a good film.  For the most part besides the fx, you get what you expect and it is a diverting way to spend 2.5 hours.  Still, I would like to stress thhat there are a number of great films coming out other than Ocean 11 and Lord of the Rings that should deserve attention so please keep your eyes open.  I am waiting with great anticipation the film version of Proulx's "The Shipping News" with Kevin Spacey.  Great book, and the cinematography is beautiful from what I've seen.  So don't get trapped in the blockbuster state of mind.  To paraphrase "Small movies should be viewed frequently."

Enjoy, and I'll see you at the movies. (I wonder if that is trademarked)

Steve