RE: a question of meaning

Title: RE: a question of meaning

>> What I think is *most* interesting about the lyric
>> is the grammer: why
>> is the knife Isaac's? You'd think it'd be Abe's
>> knife, not Isaac's.
>
>Maybe because, unlike every other time we hear this
>story told or mentioned, it is told from Abraham's
>perspective and we are admonished to look at how it
>affected him.  Possibly they are looking at how the
>whole scenario affected Isaac and his faith.

Nah, I think they just needed a 2 syllable word and Abraham wouldn't fit.  In a discussion with Steve Taylor once, he responded to a question of what significance did the name Galahad have in one of his songs, was it to tie into the Arthurian legend?  He replied that he just needed a 3 syllable name that started with "G" (it could have been Gilligan for all it mattered)

Part of my thought is does calling the knife Isaac's bring the story to mind more quickly than if we said Abraham's knife?