Re: Million Dollar Hotel

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Alfred B Johnson wrote:

> > Then again, George Lucas said he had an entire saga in mind when he
> > made the original _Star Wars_, and that didn't make _Return of the
> > Jedi_ or _The Phantom Menace_ particularly good.
>
> I've a theory.  My theory is that one's love of the characters in a Star
> Wars filmed is keyed to some extent into one's age.

I dunno, *my* theory is that no story which is inappropriate for adults
can be appropriate for children.  The original _Star Wars_ trilogy,
certain Disney cartoons, Wallace & Gromit, and even certain segments on
Sesame Street -- they all work because there's a lot that adults *and*
children can enjoy.  As you get older, you still appreciate it.

Not so with _The Phantom Menace_.

> While we old sophisticates thought Jar Jar was annoying, and slightly
> older sophisticates thought the Ewoks were demonios de hades, the kids
> love 'em.  Yes they do.  They got the Jar Jar pillow case and the
> action figger and the halloween mask. George Lucas is cotton candy,
> and you never love it quite so much after you understand tooth decay
> and empty calories.

Cotton candy may be the most benign drug you can compare Jar Jar too.

> I mean, *now* I understand that the Ewoks are silly.  But as a kid I
> thought they were groovy.

I never thought they were groovy *or* silly.  I just accepted them as part
of the Vietnam-esque message that George was trying to communicate.

> On a separate note, I watched Thora Birch play the queen in _Dungeons
> and Dragons_ and realized how brilliant everything about the queen role
> in PM was.  Or maybe just how bad the D and D movie was.

Oh it's bad, alright.  But it *is* kind of fun to see Jeremy Irons chew
the carpet as though he hadn't had anything to eat in weeks ...