Re: The BORG view of Shakespaeare

Apparently John DOES have the script in front of him... LOL!

Jeff

-------Original Message-------
From: bigLight
Date: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 4:33:50 PM
Cc: over-the-rhine at actwin_com
Subject: Re: The BORG view of Shakespaeare
My favorite bit about that MAAN film is Michael Keaton's side-splitting
portrayal of Dogberry.
Melanie Shannon wrote:

> but can we admit, honestly, that shakespeare doesn't even bother to give
> that character (keanu's character in much ado) much of any personality
> or motivation? he even has a line that's basically 'i don't have much
> reason- i'm just a bad guy.' (in an iambic pentameter sort of way, of
> course.)
This bit? :
D John: I wonder that thou being, as thou say'st thou
art,- born under Saturn, goest about to apply a moral
medicine to mortifying mischoief. I cannot hide what I am: I
must be sad when I have cause, and smile at no man's jests;
eat when I have stomach, and wait for no man's business; laugh
when I am merry, and claw no man in his humor.
Conrade: Yea; but you must not make full show of this
till you may do it without controlment. You have of late stood
out against your brother, and he hath ta'en you newly into his
grace; fair weather that you make yourself: it is needful that you
frame the season for your own harvest
D. John: I had rather be a canker in a hedge than a rose in
his grace; and it better fits my blood to be disdained of all
than to fashion a carriage to rob love from any: in this, though
I cannot be said to be a flattering honest man, it must not be
denied but I am a plain-dealing villain. I am trsuted with a
muzzle and enfranchised with a clog; therefore I have decreed
not to sing in my cage. If I had my mouth, I would bitel if I
had my liberty I would do my liking: in the meantime let me
be that I am, and seek not to alter me.
I, 3, 9-29
-John
--
"The market is the reason our housing is so expensive. It is the reason