Re: another view on racial profiling

In a message dated 10/13/01 1:25:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
mslogailah at hotmail_com writes:

<< yet
 more than once I've been directly approached by sales clerks wanting to know
 what I did with the merchandise I had in my hand, when I just merely changed
 my mind and put the merchandise back. >>

Gail,

Thanks so much for your honest post. I don't think a lot of people know the
'harassment' people of colour experience in the marketplace on a daily basis.

Your post brought to mind a story that was in the papers a few years ago (4-5
years) about shoplifting teams that were made up of people of African
American and White decent. The teams would go into the stores fully aware
that the store clerks would focus their 'security' on the African American
customers -- with that knowledge, the white member of the teams would steal
whatever they were in the market for and walk unquestioned out of the stores
with 100s of dollars worth of merchandise.

One of the things that has stuck me when I've attended OTR shows is the
diversity of the audience. Their music seems to erase the lines between
culture, race, and gender. It's a beautiful picture of hope. If only in our
little community -- for the time being...

Sorry...too many thoughts - - so few words.

Rose