Re: Quick update and Moving, Moving

Answers to my own questions:

bigLight wrote:

> Do we post here because we "lack options?"

I still don't know about this one. I don't think so. I have dishes to
wahs right now, for e.g.

> This is something that I've been thinking about a lot anyway. Why is
> that posts *not* about OTR get more play on the list than posts about
> OTR? Almost all of the threads I've tried to start about OTR-related
> things die after one or fewer responses. Why is that?

I realized after I wrote this question that WS's hateful posts were in
reponse to my quoting of "Iron Curtain" w/r/t to the war. How is it that
a thread relating OTR's music to my feelings about the war became this
ugly racist business? Should we all agree to ignore posters who send
content like that our way?

Or should we have a moderator? I have no problems with that. I nominate
Don Smith or Ysobelle.

> This raises an interesting question: what is OTR "about." Who are "the
> majority of OTR fans" and what do they think OTR is about?

Still don't know who "the majority of OTR fans" are.

I do know that what attracts me to OTR is not politics. :)

What attracts me to OTR:

The honesty of their writing. Rarely have I encountered music that is so
honest w/r/t to faith, the sacred, hope, human striving, love. It is
music that I think truly bridges a gap between me and whatever is Out
There, call it God if you like. It is music that has moved me. It is
music that has comforted me when I was crying and lonely in the night.
It is music that aknowledges the existence of pain but doesn't fear it.
It is healing music.

I think OTR's music, if one had to sum it up, is about becoming more
real, more fully human, about learning to engage the world bravely and
lovingly.

> What is the spirit of OTR? How can we work to foster it instead of
> other, er, "sickening" content?

Again, should we elect a moderator? Or should we ignore posts from
people who psot with hateful messages?

-John