Re: Quick update and Moving, Moving

Firstly: thanks for Karin's mother doing well; continued prayers that
things get better.

Linford's coda to his recent letter raises an important issue: why do
those of us that email often on this list do so?

OTRhine at aol_com wrote:

> someone who hangs around on
> the discussion list because he is cynical and lacks options.

Do we post here because we "lack options?"

> The discussion list was intended to be a wide open forum for the discussion
> of Over the Rhine's music.

This is something that I've been thinking about a lot anyway. Why is
that posts *not* about OTR get more play on the list than posts about
OTR? Almost all of the threads I've tried to start about OTR-related
things die after one or fewer responses. Why is that?

It's not moderated, and we may move to a different
> format in coming months.

!

Much of the tone and content of the discussion list
> is not all that relevant to what Over the Rhine is about (according to the
> great majority of our fans),

This raises an interesting question: what is OTR "about." Who are "the
majority of OTR fans" and what do they think OTR is about?

 The band has always taken a hands off approach with the
> list, but I guess if someone wishes to use that pallette to express
> sentiments that are a blatant effront to the spirit of Over the Rhine and the
> community we've tried to bring together over the years, they'll probably hear
> from us sooner or later.

What is the spirit of OTR? How can we work to foster it instead of
other, er, "sickening" content?

How and when do we draw the line between acceptable content and
unacceptable content?

Don't have any ready answers myself yet.

-John

--
In the electoral campaign, President Bush named as the most important

  -  Slavoj Zizek, "Welcome To The Desert Of The Real II: Reflections on
WTC"