Re: What's spinnin'....

On 9/25/01 11:50 PM, quoth the effervescent soberman_69 at hotmail_com at
soberman_69 at hotmail_com:

>Sorry, sorry.  I was trying to read all this mail you guys and gals have
>been sending, and had not enough time leftover to reply to you.  This very
>afternoon, though, I was thinking of you.  I thought I should drop you a
>line to mention that the theatrical film of CLAMP's "X" was released today.
>It is a beautiful take on the apocaplypse, blending eastern and western
>religion with a liberal dose of artistic license.

You know, I work with an Anime FANATIC, and she didn't mention this to
me! But we spent a good while yesterday poring over her "CLAMP in
Wonderland" book.  She was trying to explain to me who everyone is in X,
although I think I have to see Tokyo Babylon forst just cos I like to be
we in the scene call GAF,  ("Goth As Fuck"), they just don't know it.
Beautiful boys and lots of long hair and leather and artistic washes of
crimson blood everywhere-- plus that whole "Dying for love" thang they
got kickin'....

>Oh, and "Gloomcookie" looks interesting, but there are so many graphic
>novels on my "to buy" list already, like "Breakfast Afternoon" by Andi
>Watson and the entire Brian Micheal Bendis line of crime fiction.

There's a new artist doing Gloomcookie now, and while I was at first
apprehensive, I'm now quite enthralled. It's yummy! Just as good as ever.

>How was the "Angel" premiere?  Joss is writing the comic book now, and it
>has improved immeasurably.

Oh, son of a bitch! Did I miss it???

Ironically, I was just reading the shooting script this morning, but
stopped myself cos I didn't want to spoil it. I know Buffy starts Oct. 2,
though....

>Anyway, was that $16 PER or TOTAL?? (2 DVDs)  I was hoping to get more than
>$8 per disc, and $16 would be half of retail.  That would be fine.
>(B.O.G.O. for you!)

Oh, I meant per DVD, of course. I only need #2, though-- I just finally
got my Utena DVD #1 in the mail today, and after watching episodes 26-33
over again, I can't believe how innocent 1-7 look now. I described it to
someone tonight as "'Twin Peaks' with a pale red wash over
everything."*** It just gets weirder and weirder and darker and darker as
you go. I can't wait for the rest of the series to come out on DVD, which
it should once the Utena movie is released next month.

>May all your "woots" be "wooty-woots",
>
>Matt

I'm trying!

***ob OTR content:

Anyone remember my post years ago about how "Rhapsodie" meant, to me,
that loving someone doesn't obligate them to love you back, and how the
lesson of the song was brought home to me most forcefully while sitting
in the Tin Angel, listening to Karin sing, staring at the man who made
the words personal to me, with tears running down my face? (Yeah, I'm
GAF, too.) Well, that's the one to whom I was describing Utena tonight.
See? It all ties together in the end. All roads lead to OtR. Or Utena.
Say THAT five times fast....