Re: some meetings you just wear shoes

>o and by the way, the OTR content here is - Moth is a great song, but i
>like the when i go song the best.
>
>it's very melancholy.

Truly. I must say that I dig the Amateur Shortwave Radio version of Moth
more-- the Films for Radio version is a bit overproduced in comparison.
And I like the mp3 version of "When I Go" that was on the site last
month better than the album version.

This lyric from "When I Go" is one of the many reasons Linford is one of
my favorite writers: "I'm not letting go of God, I'm just losing my
grip."  So much said in so little.

Actually, I've been noticing for a while a strong undercurrent in OTR
songs of the meloncholy and of the restless questioner, spiritually
speaking, from Moth ("There's no savior hanging on this cross/It isn't
suffering we fear but loss/This is closer than I ever came/Just a
burning Moth without a flame") to Happy to Be So ("If I try to pray it's
like a game of Red Rover/ I take a real godd run at it, yes I do, but I
can't break through") to I Radio Heaven ("I radio heaven/ I get mixed
signals/I move the antenna/I switch the channels.") I see this as a
constant quest for the, er, real Divine as against that championed by
any one institution. Of cxoruse that could be me reading my own quest
into OTR lyrics. It's happened before.

:)

John

--

"History goes blind and in darkness;
neither sees nor is seen, nor is
known except as a carrion
marked by unintelligible wounds:
dragging its dead body, living,
yet to be born, it moves heavily
to its glories. It tramples
the little towns, forgets their names."

-Wendell Berry, "The Design of the House: Ideal and Hard Time"