Re: Lurking long enough

Hi,

First of all, I respect what you said, and I will hereafter try
really hard to keep my mouth shut on these issues (and as anyone
who knows me knows, that ain't easy) in this forum.  It is,
after all, off-topic.  However, I learned a tough lesson a long
time ago that silence = assent, and sometimes I can't just sit
silently by and let things go unchallenged.  While I understand
that your emotions are raw, *now* is the time when the course of
action is being decided, when the terms of the conversation are
being established, when sense is being made out of the chaos of
last week.  We all share in the responsibility for that process,
because if we don't, someone else will.  If we wait for the wounds
to heal, the bones will be set, and it may be too late to change
things (if I may mix metaphors wildly).

Also, I haven't noticed any flaming going on.  Certainly I have
not felt flamed, nor has it been my intention to flame anyone.
Sure, there are disagreements, and hefty ones, but the conversation
has, I think, been marked on both sides by a desire to understand,
and no one has descended into name-calling, which is the hallmark
of a flame.  So perhaps it looked uglier from the outside than
it felt on the inside, which makes a nice change from the arguments
we used to get into on this list four or five years ago.  Youch!

So, I'm sorry if we upset you.  I was pretty upset by the Grinch
thing, myself.

Fiat lux,
--
Don Smith                    Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
donaldas at umich_edu                          http://xte.mit.edu/~dasmith/

http://www.zmag.org/zinncalam.htm