honor and shame (was Miami Herald)

--- "Peter T. Chattaway" <petert at interchange_ubc.ca>
wrote:
And what better
> way to strike back, once you have decided who your
> enemy is, than by
> destroying a symbol of your enemy's pride?  It's the
> same basic impulse
> that prompted Klebold and Harris to attack their
> fellow students.

Now this is a thought process I can wrap my brain
around.  I'm glad you brought up this analogy.  I find
it hard to identify with terrorists, but I
unfortunately identify too much with Harris and
Klebold.  After seeing the last kid who did this on
television (I can't even remember his name - there are
too many of them) I remember feeling so sad and so
angry that these kids are bullied and pushed to the
point that they would do something like this.  I was
actually prompted to write a song called "Man of the
Hour" that I haven't shown anyone yet because it is
basically identifying with the kid and expressing
admiration for the fact that he had the guts to fight
back when I didn't.
However - huge HOWEVER - I'm not condoning what they
did.  I just think there has got to be a rational
middle ground between my taking the abuse silently
over a course of years and their murderous solution.

It's very sad...

Kelvin

=====
Willy Wonka: "You know what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he ever wanted?"
Charly: "No. What?"
Willy Wonka: "He lived happily ever after."