Read on...there's common ground at the bottom

You guys are making it SO hard to stay out of this!

Our way of life involves inalienable rights
> guaranteed to all men by
> the Constitution. Among these rights is the
> guarantee of a trial by jury if
> indicted for crimes, and the supposition of
> innocence until proven guilty
> within our legal system.

I've seen this, what I believe to be a mistake, made
many times now.  What you're saying here applies
basically to civil justice.  What we are talking about
is war.  Big difference.  Capture Bin Ladan and
Hussein, bring them to trial, execute justice...That
won't stop the terrorism.

By refusing these rights we make
> them alienable, and allow
> for circumstances to arise where our inalienable
> rights are not protected.

What about the rights of innocent citizens of all
countries to live in peace and not fear being murdered
on a daily basis.  Maybe what you see as denying the
rights of a few murderers (and why would we even act
as if we're not sure what they are) would be the best
way of protecting the rights of the masses.
(Before I get pounced for that statement - I totally
understand it comes from a philosophical viewpoint
that some of you will disagree with.  I have no
problem with that.)

Now, if the United States abandons her
> cultural values, those
> inalienable rights, then we will have folded our
> cards at this philosophical
> poker game. To maintain the authoritative right in
> this situation, we must
> stick to our principles. If we abandon them, we
> prove the superiority of the
> terrorist's beliefs.

This is not about 'my beliefs are better than your
beliefs'.  I don't think we should give a flying flip
through a rolling donut whether or not they feel good
about what they do.  The point is to protect ourselves
from massive acts of terrorism.  It will happen again.
 Philosophical discussions won't stop it.  Eliminating
those who perpetrate the evil will.

Only
> through justice can our collective sorrow be healed
> and only through justice
> can we uphold the values that have been endangered.

I agree.  Totally.  I just think you have a narrow,
restrictive view of justice.

As seen in
> the Middle East and Ireland, revenge conflicts are
> not resolved, they only
> escalate.

Again, I totally agree.  Revenge is not ours to take.
But I believe it is incorrect to assert that revenge
is the only motivation for retaliation.

Nonetheless, despite the fact that I've pretty firmly
held to my beliefs, you guys are making me think.  I
appreciate that.  You're always good for that.  And I
also think that, along with our dealing decisively
with this monstrous act and those who caused it, we as
a nation do have a responsibility to examine our
attitudes/philosophies/policies, ask ourselves
difficult questions and give honest answers.  That
wouldn't hurt at all.

Just a thought...

Kelvin

=====
Willy Wonka: "You know what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he ever wanted?"
Charly: "No. What?"
Willy Wonka: "He lived happily ever after."