Wendell Berry (was Memento)

Yeah man, Wendell Berry is quickly becoming one of the most impoortant
writers in my sky of influences. HIs poetry, prose and fiction are all
amzing, mind-blowing, incredible. He's one of the few writers today
whose work is intellectually and spiritually engaging but which doesn't
have  postmodern lit's incessant need to be over-flowery and verbose.
His writing is very much like Hemmingway in that regard-- each sentence
is like a little jewel that resonantes with meaning. I just finished
reading an excellent nonfiction book by him called "Life is a Miracle,"
which I highly reccommend if that poem excerpt caught your eye.

-John

--

"History goes blind and in darkness;
neither ses nor is seen, nor is
known except as a carrion
marked by unintelligible wounds:
dragging its dead body, living,
yet to be born, it moves heavily
to its glories. It tramples
the little towns, forgets their names."

-Wendell Berry, "The Design of the House: Ideal and Hard Time"