Re: Memento

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, bigLight wrote:
> If his report of his condition is accurate, then theoretically, he
> shouldn't even know his wife is dead . . .

You mean, if Lenny's hippocampus isn't working?  Correct.  But remember,
Lenny believes that Sammy's condition was psychological, not physical.
Likewise, the problem may not be Lenny's hippocampus, but something else.

> > I haven't tried to watch it backwards (i.e. forwards) yet.
>
> Ick. Wouldn't want to do that. I had a friend who did that with Pulp
> Fiction-- put it in chronological order, and we watched it that way, and
> it *sucked.* The movie ends with Butch driving his motorcycle off into
> the sunset. The movie's entire emotional structure was shot-- the most
> important scene happens in the middle of the movie.

Yeah, watching _The Godfather Saga_ -- the boxed set that re-arranged the
first two movies in chronological order -- had a similar effect.  The
emotional structure, as you put it, and the thematic structure of the
second movie depends on the bouncing back and forth between Vito Corleone
at the turn of the century and his son Michael several decades later.
Watching Vito first, and then the first movie, and then Michael, alters
everything.  But it's still interesting, and some day I wanna do it with
the _Back to the Future_ trilogy ... though how I'll handle the scenes
from parts I & II that take place at the same time, I don't know.  :)