Re: Memento

bigLight wrote:

> I agree. The longer the movie went on,m the more I kept thinking about
> the incredible uphill curve of effort it would take for Leonard to
> "imprint" himself with the habits necessary to kno, for example, to
> always look at his tattoos. (Never mind that his tatts didn't have the

Well, I think it was rather obvious that he *didn't* have the habit of
always looking at his tatoos.  We see him several times, especially in
the beginning (of the movie, not the plot), "finding" his tatoos.  For
example, when washing his hands at the diner, he notices his Sammy
Jenkis tatoo.  We even see the whole process he goes through of
realizing he has a tatoo on his arm, then realizing it goes up his arm,
and then finally across his entire body.

> usual bloody, painful period they have in real life) At first he would
> have to have someone helping him learn those habits and *then* when you

If the stuff about him being in the mental home is true, as the website
and DVD imply, then he had a lot of time in their to convince himself,
via the notes he kept.  IIRC, one can extrapolate about 3 years from the
"incident" to the present day of the movie.

> think about all the time we don't see, the time immediately after his
> accident, or the time after his wife's death when he was (supposedly)

The main problem I have with that scenario is the inconsistency of the
reasoning.  Sammy's wife supposedly killed herself (via Sammy) while
trying to test his response to conditioning, which Sammy apparently
didn't have.  Leonard, however, seems to be able to learn by repetition.

Personally, I thought it one of the best movies of the year, the only
better one IMHO so far being _Shrek_ (I'm a cartoon freak ;).

Troy