Re: Miami Herald

20010918210411.91761.qmail at web11502_mail.yahoo.com">

If we insist on
pretending that they are irrational, inhuman, and
beyond the pale

So now I'm supposed to believe that what these beasts
do on a regular basis is rational, humane, and
completely acceptable. How naive!

I think what Don is trying to say is that if we understand even a tiny bit about what their lives are like, what their warped version of Islam teaches, how they see us and our actions in their countries, then we might understand that, while being opposed to their violent, regrettable actions, they're not crazy or irrational. Most reports I've read on terrorists is that they tend not ot be the Tim McVeigh/David Koresh types. Rather, they tend to be avaegare, run-of-the-mill young men. When recruiters look for suicide bombers, they look not for crazies (they actually psychologically profile their people and reject crazy folks) but for stable kids, what we would call "the boy next door." bin Laden in particular is not regarded as irrational, inhuman or beyond the pale by most people in the Middle East, he is regarded as a hero much in the same way we regard George Washington (who, before you retaliate, was known to be a cruel military leader in the French and Indian War and in the Revolutionary war, and was none too kind to his slaves). If you want to compare bin Laden to a Biblical person, compare him to Joshua, who led the Isrealites into an already-occupied Caanan and slaughtered tens of thosands of the people living there (women, children and even cattle) all because he claimed God had told him the land was his and these unfortunate people were in his way and were "unclean." These are bin Laden's exact reasons for attacking us. His main concerns are nto with taking us over, but rather with getting our troops and cultural influence out of Saudi Arabia (his home country) and out of the Isreali-Palestine conflict. He sees our materialism, consumerism, racism and considers it all very ungodly and doesn't want it coming anywhere near his people.
20010918210411.91761.qmail at web11502_mail.yahoo.com">

Unless America really
looks at our own
culpability in acts of terror around the world, and
makes changes to stop it,
this will happen again.

I am so damned sick of hearing people bend over
backwards to try to find our "culpability" in this.
There is none. We got up to go to
work/school/wherever last week, thinking it was a
typical blah day, and were instead victims of the most
horrendous act of violence imaginable. How the crap
to you figure that we are responsible?!?
Well, firstly, we committed plenty of our own "Acts of terror" in 1999 when our naiton sent 75 cruise missles into various Islamic nations, claiming to be wiping out terrorists. We actually hit a pharmecutical comany in the Sudan, claiming it was making biological weapons, when soil tests by our own intelligence boys have shown that it was doing no such thing. The other missles destroyed a bunnch of Bedioun nomds' camps. No terrorists were hit by our missles, but a good many innnocents were. In case you don'[t remember the news as far back as 1999, recall the angry throngs of Sudanese holding up placards declaring Bill Clinton to be a terrorist (my favorite was "No bombs for Monica") and burning our flag. With that act alone, by George W Bush's own policy-in-the-making, our nation is a nation that commits terrorist acts and harbors terrorists. Under Bush's new policy, the Sudan has the right to blow us all to hell until we surrender Clinton and his Secretary of State over to them for trial.
Never mind our highly self-interested involvement in the Gulf War, or our involvement in the Isreal'Palestine matter. In case you don't remember *that*, in 1948 the UN, urged by the US and Britain, took away 75% of Palestine from the Arabs, renamed it Isreal and gave it to the dispossesed Jews. Until that time, Palestine had been the home of the Arabs for a little under 1300 years.
In 1967, Isreal invaded the remaining 25% of Palestine (What we call the West Bank and the Gaza Strip) and took it too. If you do the math you'll see that leaves the Palestinians nothing. Again, under Bush's current policy, that makes Isreal a terrorist nation, and indeed, you could say that it was that war which sparked the terrorism we know today. The US has unequivocably backed Isreal since then, causing much of the Arab hostility towards the US. and, again, making us a nation that "aids or harbors terrorists."
20010918210411.91761.qmail at web11502_mail.yahoo.com">

No. Not even close. They were saying 'We don't like
you. We don't like that you oppose what we are doing.
We don't like that you work for peace and
rationality. We don't like that you haven't bent to
our will. You are a threat to us and we want every
last one of you dead."

I'll have to disagree here.  Having actually paid attention to the Arabs and even terrorists interviewed, never mind the State department, I'd have to say that nobdy except President Bush (and maybe Isreal's prime minister) believes they were trying to say they oppose what we're doing in terms of democracy, peace, etc. They call us "the Great Satan." Really when you look at it, the things they hate about us are the same things *we* hate about us: our greed, our culutre that glorifies violence, irresponsible sex, consumerism. They look at us and see a great tide that will wash them away, culturally and economically. If you told any self-respecting Middle-Easterner that we stand for peace or equality or democracy, you'd get laughed at, not becausre they despise peace, but because we do not, in our actions, uphold it, unless our self-interest urges us to.

20010918210411.91761.qmail at web11502_mail.yahoo.com">

"Don't destroy our peaceful, daisy-ridden, we just
want to get along, terrorist existence"? Please...
Oh good grief. It's not like they do it for *kicks*. Your carichature of them and thier motives isn't accurate or helpful. I will say that they're the worst kind of evil people, that is, evil people who believe so much in the evil of others that they're ready to kill them to get rid of it. But, if you notice, that makes us pretty evil too.

John
20010918210411.91761.qmail at web11502_mail.yahoo.com">

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"History goes blind and in darkness;
neither ses nor is seen, nor is
known except as a carrion
marked by unintelligible wounds:
dragging its dead body, living,
yet to be born, it moves heavily
to its glories. It tramples
the little towns, forgets their names."

-Wendell Berry, "The Design of the House: Ideal and Hard Time"

http://www.geocities.com/eustacescrubb

Follow-Ups: References: