a poem ya'll might appreciate...

i've been reading luci shaw's work for awhile now and i'm
more grateful than ever for her words... hope they are of
some solace to you folks as well.
peace,
-=katherine=-

Apocalypse Here

Tuesday evening: darkness has
taken over, but the image keeps blazing
in the brain--the plane aimed
dead straight at the twin tower--
the plane that never reappears
on the other side. Instead, in its small
rectangle on my computer screen,
the brilliant crime keeps repeating itself:
a formal flower arrangement--
asymmetrical--a rose-gold peony
of flame, a bloom of blood, balanced
with consummate grace and irony
against the column of steel and glass
under the dark foliage of smoke.

But a poem is too fragile a shell
to bear the crushing weight.
Such sudden horror cascading down
on the bright world. Empty air which,
minutes earlier, had resonated with a square
solidity. A wound in the broad chest
of the city. The gray ash light and deep as snow.
Everyone running north.
The financial report from the 102nd floor,
floating down. A face rimed with gray
staring into the videocam. The hollow reality
as night covers ruin with its surreal  blanket
and the search and rescue dogs,
tired out with scenting for life, curl in their
dim kennels, and we all wonder if
it's safe to sleep tonight, and where is God?
And did Jesus die for this? What
do we hope for now, and how should we pray,
holding a vigil for loss, and for how long?
And then what?

Wednesday: A newsman glancing
through the haze comments that beside
the empty space the undamaged spire
of Trinity Church points straight at heaven still.
Innocence and ignorance lie shattered
in the ash; we start again to build
towards the One who holds all dying
and all life within his hands.

--Luci Shaw

=====
šIt is the nature of love to create, and no matter what we do to creation, that love is still there, creating; in you, in me.š
          **Madeleine LŽEngle**